Interested In This Position?
Fill out the form below, if you qualify, someone will contact you.
In this position you are responsible for carrying out daily prep, cooking, and cleaning tasks using a checklist. Collaborating with the kitchen crew is mandatory, as well as maintaining knowledge of Indian cuisine (only while working with us). This is a role with complex and basic cooking tasks that require experience and must be prepped according to due dates for the restaurant. Multi-purpose and multi-tasking jobs in a commercial kitchen.
Established 2004, we are a family-owned local business in the heart of downtown Kamloops. We are not your average Indian restaurant! We are growing the Maurya’s brand rapidly by the day. Our mission is to create Far From Ordinary experiences for our “guests” — a contemporary approach to Indian regional cuisine, flair of global inspiration, 5 star service, and a mix of culture & tradition in our craft cocktails.
- Prepping all assigned prep work items for kitchen production in an efficient and consistent manner.
- Following the specifications, recipes, and techniques from the company’s recipe book and the head chef’s confirmation.
- Following the checklist(s) and the main whiteboard for daily tasks. This includes following up and collaborating with other team members in the kitchen to stay on track.
- Expect basic prep like mango lassi, dough portioning, chutneys, and complex ones like samosas and pakoras.
- Maintains knowledge of company specifications, recipes, Indian cuisine and its spices. Knowledge of the company’s policies and procedures manual, mission statement, vision statement, and supporting programs and employees in accordance with same.
- Can independently set up their workstation and gather ingredients in the kitchen to cook prep-work according to the recipe.
- Self-switching between stations and ‘prep work tasks’ by looking at the environment and its priorities. Understands what prep work is priority.
- Using machines and basic knife skills to cut a variety of veggies and meats. Handling, cutting, cooking and marinating meats/vegetables in the tandoor. Peeling and chopping vegetables like potatoes and onions.
- Keeping chef stations organized/re-filled
- Storing your prep work into coolers. Keeping the cooler prep work up-to-date by reporting any shortages in stock to appropriate stakeholders.
- Occasionally attending and providing input into staff meetings and participating in training, and educational sessions.
- Working well under pressure. Meeting cost control guidelines, portion-sizing, and production schedules.
- Following the maintenance practices of all workstations. Following the stocking and re-filling practices of groceries and products in the kitchen and refrigerators through proper labelling and storage techniques.
- Carrying out general cleaning, kitchen cleaning tasks, surface sanitization and performing the weekly/shift-end cleaning routines.
- Must abide with enhanced covid-19 protocols, maintain personal hygiene, and adhere to food safe practices. Includes wearing a mask, hairnet, proper attire, scent-free etc as per business requirements.
- Willingness to learn
- Collaborative teamwork
- Following up
- Self-starts on tasks
- Extremely punctual
- Sincere desire to give the best to guests
- Detail oriented
- A minimum experience of 1 – 2 years in a commercial kitchen is an asset
- Working towards a career in culinary, or a Red Seal Certification while an asset, but is not required.
- Food Safe Level 1 Certification while an asset, but you can apply.
- Has basic understanding of commercial-kitchen operations.
- Can respond to varying business volumes as they relate to impacts on the kitchen.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Indian cuisine is an asset, but not required.
- Works effectively within a team and recognizes when to provide support to other kitchen team members.
- Being able to work prolonged periods of working in a commercial kitchen environment, standing and walking for lengthening periods.
- Can sustain without breaks only during the extremely busy peak hours.
- Is physically capable of working in a fast-paced environment and safely lifts heavy loads around 22-25kg.
Commitment to Diversity
As an equal opportunity employer committed to meeting the needs of a multigenerational and multicultural workforce Maurya’s recognizes that a diverse staff, reflective of our community, is an integral and welcome part of a successful and ethical business. We hire local talent at all levels regardless of race, color, religion, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability, and actively foster inclusion in all forms both within our company and across interactions with clients, candidates and partners.
If this position caught your eye, send us your resume! For best consideration, include the job title and source where you found this position in the subject line of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Position: Dishwasher + Prep cook
Salary: $15.59 – $16.29 per hour
- Discounted food
- Flexible schedule, as per business need
- Reimbursement of foodsafe (after 1 year)
- Future benefits apply when you work with us.
- 5 – 8 hour shift, 20 to 40 hours per week
- On call
- Day / Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location
Work Remotely: No